Ardha Chandrasana is a SANSKRIT word, It means Ardha means "Half", Chandra means "Moon" and Asana means "Pose". It is also called Half Moon Pose in English. The half moon asana is an excellent way for your body balance. This pose is quite challenging for your body. It should be performed only by whom people have performed Trikonasana or Triangle Pose easily.
Ardha Chandrasana performs Utthita Trikonasana with your left foot forward. Keep your right hand on your hip and turn your head to look at the leg. Bend your front leg and shift your weight into your front leg. Reach your front hand forward and place it on the mat and directly under your front shoulder. Slowly press down your fingers to steady yourself. Lift your back leg until your thigh is parallel to the ground. slowly turn your chest to face the right, twisting your torso and hips and your hands top the ceiling. Keep your gaze on the floor bring it to your top hand and a slight bend in your standing leg so you don't hyperextend your knee. exist the pose the same way you come into it and relax some time.
Benefits of Ardha Chandrasana Yoga:
There are the most important health benefits of Ardha Chandrasana yoga are,
1. In this pose our total weight is balanced on one leg, for that reason the hamstrings and quadriceps are engaged resulting in strong legs. and it may help to strengthen the ankles, knees, and legs.
2. This asana is especially helpful to beneficial to the external rotators and stabilizers of the hip areas. it may help to increase hip flexibility and strength in the body.
3. Ardha Chandrasana also tones the core and improving the digestion system and making the spine more strong. This asana is the best for the core system and digestion system.
4. This asana helps to more concentration because this asana performs highly balance in the body. It helps to increase your mental ability as well as physical ability. This asana helps to increase focus level.
5. Performing this asana ensures deep breathing and aligns the torso for optimal organ functioning.
Step by step Ardha Chandrasana yoga
1. Stand in Tadasana (Step 1) and then do Utthita Trikonasana,(Step 2), following the technique described earlier.
2. After completing Trikonasana on the right side, breath out and put the right palm about a feet away from the right foot by curving the right knee joint and at the same time bringing the left foot near the right one.(Step3).
3. Wait in this position and take two breaths. Then breath out and lift the left leg from the floor, toes face up. Extend the right hand and the right leg.
4. Put the left palm over the left hip and extend up, holding the shoulders well up. Turn the chest to the left and stabilize. (Step 4)
5 . The weight of the body is on the right foot and hip. The right hand is only a support to stabilize body.
6. Keep the pose from 20 to 30 seconds, breathing steadily and evenly. Then slide the left leg to the floor and go back to Trikonasana.(Step 2)
7. Repeat the posture on the left side.