also known as Marichi’s Pose.This asana is dedicated to the sage Marichi, son of the Creator, Brahma. Marichi was the grandfather of Surya (the Sun God). Marichyasana 2 is variation of Marichyasana 1.Marichyasana 2 details provided to you by YogaIQ.
1. Sit on the floor, with the legs extended straight in front. (Step 1)
2. Curve the left leg at the knee and place the left foot at the root of the right thigh. The left heel should press the navel and the toes be extended and pointing. The left leg is now in half Padmasana.
3. Curve the right leg at the knee. Put the sole and heel of the right foot flat on the floor. Keep the shin of the right leg perpendicular, so that the right thigh and the right calf touch each other and the right heel touches the perineum.
4. Curve slightly forward, extend the right shoulder forward until the right armpit touches the perpendicular right shin. With a breath out, curl the right arm round the right shin and thigh, curve the right elbow and turn the right forearm behind the back at the level of the waist. Then move the left hand behind the back and grip the right hand with the left at the wrist. (Step 2)
5. Stretch the spine up and hold this posture for a few seconds, breathing deeply.
6. Breath out, move the trunk and head forward and rest the head on the bent left knee. Then stretch the neck and rest the chin on the left knee. (Step 3 and 4.) Repeat this movement three or four times, inhaling while coming up and exhaling while going down.
7. Breath in, move the head and trunk up, release the hands, straighten the legs, and then repeat the pose on the other side for the same length of time
The heel at the navel puts extra pressure on the abdomen so that the abdominal organs are toned better and grow stronger and digestive power increases.