also known as Seated Forward Bend. Parivrtta means turned around, revolved. Paschima literally means the west and and related to the back of the entire body from the head to the heels. Uttana means an intense stretch. In this variation of Paschimottanasana the trunk is twisted on only one side. Parivrtta Paschimottanasana 9 details provided to you by YogaIQ.
1. Sit on the floor with the legs extended straight in front. Keep the knees tight and the legs touching each other at the knees, ankles, heels and big toes. (Step 1)
2. Breath out, stretch the right arm towards the left foot. Twist the right forearm and the right wrist so that the right thumb points to the floor and the right little finger points up. Then with the right hand hold the outer side of the left foot. Take a breath.
3. Now, breath out, stretch the left arm over the right forearm keeping the left wrist up. Twist the left forearm and the left wrist so that the left thumb points to the floor and the left little finger points up. Hold the outer side of the right foot (Step 1) and take a breath.
4. Breath out, twist the trunk about 90 degrees to the left by bending and widening the elbows. (Step 2) Take a breath. Breath out again, move the head between the arms and look up. The back portion of the upper right arm near the armpit will rest across the left knee. Try and rest the right side ribs on the left thigh. (Front view : Step 1. Back view : Step 2.) Due to the lateral twist of the trunk, breathing will be fast. Stay the pose for about 20 seconds.
5. Breath in, release the hands and move the trunk back to its original position. (Step 4)
6. Now twist the trunk to the right and repeat the pose for the same amount of time, following the technique given above, but substituting the word 'left' for the word 'right' and the word 'right' for the word 'left'.
This invigorating posture tones the abdominal organs and keeps them free from sluggishness. It also tones the kidneys and rejuvenates the entire spine, while the digestion is improved. The lateral twist stimulates blood circulation in the spine and relieves backaches. Due to the stretch of the pelvic region, more oxygenated blood is brought there and the gonad glands absorb the required nutrition from the blood. This increases vitality, helps to cure impotency and promotes sex control.