Gomukhasana is a SANSKRIT word, that means Go means "Cow", Mukh means "face" and asana means "pose" It means Cow face pose. Gomukhasana is a compound yoga pose like the Surya Namaskar yoga poses that stretch and work out several parts. It is mainly focused on the hips and shoulders, there are the two main roots of areas for pain and stiffness. Gomukhasana yoga is help to release hormones from the body. It also helps to open the body's chakras svadisthana /spleen, sacral chakra, and the Anahata / heart chakra.
Gomukhasana performs first of all set on your mat with your spine straight. Extend your legs in front of you. Place your palms on the ground and bend your left knee. Place your left leg below the right hip by raising your body a bit. the right hip by raising your body. Fold your right foot and place it put on your left thigh. Fold your left hand and place it behind your backside. Put your right hand over your right shoulder and stretch it as much as you can to try to reach your left hand. You may not able to connect both hands, but you may try and practices. It may be practiced for 30-60 seconds with continued breathing. But a beginner may start with 10 seconds.
Benefits of Gomukhasana Yoga:
1. Padmasana pose helps to Stretches your shoulders, thorax, ankles, triceps, and thighs.
2. This pose may help to make your back flexible. and reduce back problems.
3. Padmasana is a meditative pose, it helps to relax your body and mind and you feel the positive energy in your body.
4. Continues to perform padmasana helps to reduce diabetes problems and prevent kidney problems.
5. This pose is very helpful to reduce stress and anxiety problems. This pose increases the peace of mind.
6. This asana helps to reduce back pain also.
7. It may help in pressure relief.
8. This pose is helpful to reduce the sciatica problem.
Step by step Gomukhasana yoga:
1. Stay on the floor with the legs extended vertically in front. (Step 1)
2. Place the palms on the floor and lift the seat.
3. Bend the left knee back and sit on the left foot. pull up the hands from the floor, lift the right leg and put the right thigh over the left one. lift the buttocks and with the help of the hands bring the ankles and the back of the heels together till they touch each other.
4. Relax the ankles keeping the toes facing back.
5. Raise the left arm over the head, bend it at the elbow and place the left palm below the nape of the neck between the shoulders. Lower the right arm, bend it at the elbow and raise the right forearm up behind the back until the right hand is level with and between the shoulder-blades. Clasp the hands behind the back between the shoulders. (Front view : Step 2. Back view: Step 3)
6. Keep this posture from 30 to 60 seconds breathing normally. Keep the neck and head straight and look vertical ahead.
7. Unclasp the hands, straighten the legs and repeat the pose on the other side for the same length of time by inserting 'left' for 'right' and vice versa. Then unclasp the hands at the back, straighten the legs and relax.