also knowns as Reclining Twist Pose.Jathara means the stomach, the belly. Parivartana means swinging or reversion. Jathara Parivartanasana details provided to you by YogaIQ.
1. Lie fiat on the back on the floor. (Step 1)
2. Stretch out both arms sideways in line with the shoulders, so that the body resembles a cross.
3. breath out, hold up both foot together as far as they are vertical to the floor. They should remain fixed and straight, so do not curve them at the leg joints.(Step 2)
4. Remain in this position for a few breaths. Then exhale, and move both the legs sideways (Step 3) down towards the floor to the left until the toes of the left foot almost touch the finger-tips of the outstretched left hand. (Step 4) Try and keep the back well on the floor. In the starting stages, the right shoulder will be take of the floor. To prevent this ask a friend to push it down, or hold a heavy piece of furniture with the right hand when the foot are turned sideways to the left.
5. Both foot should go downward together, the foot joints being kept straight throughout. As far as possible keep the lower back on the floor and turn the foot only from the hips. When the foot are near the outstretched left hand, move the abdomen to the right.
6. hold the posture for about 20 seconds, keeping the foot fixed throughout the posture. Then place the still fixed foot slowly back to the straight position with breathing out. (Step 2)
7. Remain with the legs perpendicular for a few breaths and then repeat the movements by lowering the legs to the right and turning the abdomen to the left. (Step 5) Stay here also for the same length of time and with an exhalation, come back to the perpendicular legs position (Step 2) and then gently lower the legs to the floor (Step 1) and relax.
Jathara Parivartanasana is good for reducing excess fat. It tones and eradicates sluggishness of the liver, spleen and pancreas. It also cures gastritis and strengthens the intestines. By its everyday practice all the abdominal body part are kept clean. It helps to relieve sprains and catches in the lower back and the hip region. Jathara Parivartanasana is Yoga For Liver.