Supta Padangusthasana is a SANSKRIT word that means Supta means "Reclining", pada means "Foot", and Angustha means the "Big toe of the leg", asana means "Pose". That means Reclining big toe pose or Reclined Hand to Big Toe Pose. This asana is the best for back pain.
Fist lay down on the mat and lie down on the backside, neutral pelvis and bring the bottom hips parallel. flex one foot towards you and grab another foot's big toe finger with peace or use a belt. combine the quadriceps to straighten the knee. and then hold some time and relax the body then start again practices with second leg.
Benefits of Supta Padangusthasana Yoga:
There are the most important health benefits of the Supta Padangusthasana are,
1. Supta Padangusthasana helps to treat stiffness in the lower back area, and sciatica nerve pain. This asana is the best for remove alleviate backache.
2. This asana helps to activate and massage the organs in the stomach. and improve the digestive system.
3. If continued to exercise this pose, is beneficial to reduce eating extra food and overeating.
4. This pose is helpful to Detox intestines and relieve menstrual cramps.
5. If you perform the daily practice of this pose it will help you to get rid of bloating and flatulence.
6. This asana is very beneficial to treat arthritis pain in the knees and hips.
7. This asana helps to strengthen to stretch inner thighs, hamstrings muscles, and calves muscles.
8. Supta Padangusthasana also helps improve your physical as well as mental health.
Step by step Supta Padangusthasana yoga:
1. Lie fiat on the back, stretch both legs and keep the knees tight.(Step 1)
2. Inhale, raise the left leg from the floor until it is perpendicular. Keep the right leg stretched fully on the floor and rest the right hand on the right thigh.
3. Raise the left arm and catch the left big toe between the thumb and the fore and middle fingers. (Step 2) Take 3 or 4 deep breaths.
4. Exhale, raise the head and trunk from the floor, bend the left arm at the elbow and drag the left foot facing the head without curving it at the knee. drag the foot down, lift the head and torso up together and rest the chin on the left foot joint. (Step 3) Stay in this position for about 20 seconds, keeping the right leg fully stretched straight along the floor while breathing normally.
5. Inhale, move the head and trunk back to the floor and the left leg back to the perpendicular. (Step 2) This completes the first movement.
6. breath out, hold the left big toe, curve the left knee and move the grasped toe towards the right shoulder. Bend the left hand joint, extent the left arm behind the head and move the head up into the space between the left forearm and the left shinbone. (Step 4) Take a few deep breaths.
7. Inhale, move the head back to the floor, bring the left arm in front of the head and straighten the left arm and leg. Take the left leg back to the perpendicular, maintaining the toe hold throughout. (Step 4) During this movement also the right leg remains fully extended on the floor throughout and the right hand rests on the right thigh. This completes the second movement.
8. Exhale, and without disturbing the head and trunk or lifting the right leg off the floor, move the left arm and leg sideways to the left down to the floor. (Step 5) Do not release the toe hold but bring the left arm in level with the shoulders on the floor. Stay in this position for about 20 seconds without bending the left leg at the knee. Breathe normally.
9. Now inhale and without bending the left leg at the knee, bring it back to the perpendicular without releasing the grip on the left big toe or disturbing the right leg stretched on the floor. (Step 2)
10. Exhale, release the toe grip, rest the left leg on the floor beside the right one and keep the left hand on the left thigh. This completes the third movement. To start with it is difficult to keep the extended leg stretched right out on the floor throughout these three movements. Therefore, ask a friend to keep the leg down by pressing the thigh just above the knee, or press the foot against a wall.
11. After completing the three movements on the left side, take a few deep inhalations and then repeat them on the right, substituting the word 'left' for the word 'right'.