also known as Bharadvaja's Twist Pose 2. Bharadvajasana is dedicated to Bharadvaja, who was the father of Drona . Bharadvajasana 2 details provided to you by YogaIQ
1. Sit on the floor with the feet extended straight in front. (Step 1)
2. Bend the left leg at the knee, hold the left foot with the hands and place it at the root of the right thigh near the pelvis so that the left heel is kept near the navel. The left leg will then be in the half lotus pose.
3. curve the right foot at the knee and bring the right foot back and rest the right heel beside the right hip. The inner side of the right shin will touch the outer side of the right thigh. Keep both the knee joints on the floor closer each other.
4. Exhale, turn the left arm from the shoulder behind the back, bend the left elbow, bring the left hand near the right hip and catch the left foot with the left hand.
5. Straighter the right arm, place the right hand on the outer side of the left thigh near the left knee. Insert the right hand underneath the left knee, the palm touching the floor and the fingers pointing to the right. (Steps 2 and 3)
6. Hold the left foot tight and turn the trunk to as far to the left as you can. Turn the neck in either direction and gaze over the shoulder.
7. Stay in the pose from half a minute to a minute with normal or deep breathing.
8. Then release the pose and repeat it on the other side for the same length of time. Here the right foot will be placed at the root of the left thigh and will be held from behind the back by the right hand. The left leg will be bent at the knee and the left heel will rest on the floor beside the left hip. The left hand will be placed underneath the right knee and the trunk will be twisted as far to the right as possible.
9. After completing the asana on both the sides, stretch out the legs, straighten the arms and rest
Bharadvajasana works on the dorsal and lumbar regions of the spine. People with very tighten backs find the other twisting postures so much hard. Bharadvajasana Stretches the spine, shoulders, and hips. The knees and shoulders become flexible by the practice of Bharadvajasana. Bharadvajasana is not very effective for people with elastic spinal movements, but the arthritic will find Bharadvajasana to be a blessing. Bharadvajasana massages the abdominal organs. Bharadvajasana Relieves lower backache, neck pain, and sciatica. Bharadvajasana Helps relieve stress, Improves digestion, especially good in the second trimester of pregnancy for strengthening the lower back Bharadvajasana Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome. Bharadvajasana helps to make the back supple. People with arthritis will find Bharadvajasana very beneficial. Bharadvajasana is Yoga For Arthritis.