also known as Folding into Marichyasana. Marichi is the great-grandfather of Manu ("man, thinking, intelligent"), the Vedic Adam, and the "father" of humanity. This variation combines the movements of Marlchyasana 2 and Marlchyasana 3. Marichyasana 5 details provided to you by YogaIQ.
1. Stay on the floor with legs extend vertical in front. (Step 1)
2. Angle the right leg at the knee and place the right foot at the root of the left thigh. The right heel should press against the navel and the toes should be stretched and pointing. The right leg is now in half Padmasana.
3. Angle the left leg at the knee joint, put the sole and heel of the left foot flat on the floor. Keep the shin perpendicular to the floor so that the left thigh and the shin touch each other and the left heel touches the perineum.
4. With an exhalation, turn the spine about 90 degrees to the left, so that the right armpit touches the outer side of the left thigh.
5. Place the right shoulder beyond the left knee and stretch the right arm forward by turning the spine still more to the left by stretching the region at the back of the floating ribs. Take a breath.
6. Exhale, move the right arm round the left knee, bend the right elbow and place the right hand at the back of the waist. The left knee is locked tightly in the right armpit. Take a breath.
7. Now with a deep exhalation, twist the left arm from the shoulder behind the back and clasp the right hand behind the back with the left hand. Stretch the chest and pull up the spine. (Steps 2 and 3)
8. Remain in this position for 30 seconds. Breathing will be faster.
9. Release the hands and straighten the legs.
10. Then repeat the pose on the other side reading 'right' for 'left' and vice versa. Stay on both sides for the same length of time. Release the hands, straighten the legs and relax.
The pressure of the heel against the navel and the clasping of the hands behind the back rejuvenates the nerves round the navel. It tones the liver, spleen and pancreas. Calcium deposits in the shoulder joints are
resolved and the pose helps free movement at the shoulders. Marichyasana 5 is Yoga For Shoulders.