Urdhva Padmasana is a SANSKRIT word that means Urdhva means Inverted or upward, Padma means Lotus and asana means Pose. This asana is also called Lotus Pose in Headstand in English. This asana is a combination of the Sirsasana and Padmasana. Urdhva Padmasana is one of the best-advanced asanas in yoga with lots of health benefits. Urdhva Padmasana is an advanced level of asana and it should perform under the guidelines of the yoga master. it performs with passion. it should be performed with the conscious mind.
First of all, take the sirsasana pose, and take the help of a partner who can provide immediate support in case you are unbalanced. then smoothly try to interlock both legs like sitting in the lotus pose. one you have successfully made the lotus pose in the inverted direction, be in this stance for one minute or so. Breathe deep in while you are in this position. then slowly open the leg one by one and slowly reach down on the floor to release the asana. then take some rest in the savasana before performing the next asana.
Benefits of Urdhva Padmasana Yoga:
There are the most health benefits of Urdhva Padmasana yoga are,
1. Urdhva Padmasana helps to improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase sexual performance. Regular practices of this yoga improve the strength of the hips, calf, and thigh muscles and are also helpful for optimal sexual performance.
2. This pose helps to increase strengthen the forearms, wrists, and shoulders. Daily practices of this yoga blood flow will increase in this area and muscles is more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps to strengthen the forearms, Wrists, and Shoulders Muscles.
3. This pose increases the focus of concentration and mind. Regular practice in this position helps to increase the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, as result your brain gets more focused and functions properly.
4. Urdhva Padmasana helps to decrease stress and anxiety. on regular basis, this pose is very useful in physical health as well as mental health.
5. This pose may improve digestive health and prevent various types of digestion-related issues like constipation. Continue practices of this asana helps to better the digestion system in our body.
6. This asana is excellent to improve the blood flow to the head and scalp and provides various nutrients in our body. it also helps to reduce the hair follicles and hair fall.
7. Urdhva Padmasana helps to reduce the body fat from the belly, arms, thighs, and butt area. This yoga helps to maintain body posture in the right way.
8. Urdhva Padmasana yoga was used for doing Austerity in ancient times by Maharshi.
Step by step Urdhva Padmasana in Sirsasana yoga:
1 . This pose is to be done after the Eka Pada (Step 1 and 2) and Padvaika Pada Sirsasanas. (Step 3) After finishing these two postures cross the legs as in Padmasana. First put the right leg over the left thigh and the left leg over the right thigh.
2. Press the leg joints closer to each other and stretch the thighs up vertically. (Step 4)
3. Hold this position for half a minute with deep and even breaths.Then, exhale and extend the thighs as far back as possible. (Step 5)
4. Uncross the legs and return to Sirsasana. Now cross the legs the other way, first placing the left foot over the right thigh and then the right foot over the left thigh. hold this posture for half a minute and then stretch the thighs back.
5. While extending the thighs up do not replace the posture of the head or the neck.