Also Known as Half Bound. Ardha means half. Baddha means bound, restrained, caught, withheld. Padma is a lotus. Uttana is an intense stretch. Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana 9 details provided to you by YogaIQ.
1. Stand in Tadasana. (Step 1)
2. Breath in, raise the right leg from the floor, bend the right knee and rest the sole of the right foot on the left thigh.
3. Hold the right foot with the left hand, bring the right arm round the back and catch hold of the big toe of the right foot with the thumb and the fore and middle fingers of the right hand. (Step 2)
4. Let go the left hand. Breath out, bend the trunk forward, place the left hand on the floor by the left foot (Step 3), and keep the head up. Make the back as curving inward as possible. Take a few breaths.
5. Breath out, rest the head or the chin on the left knee. (Step 4)
6. If the whole left palm cannot be placed on the floor, start with the tips of the fingers, then gradually place the fingers and lastly the whole palm on the floor. same with the position of the head, first place the forehead on the left knee, then stretch the neck to place the tip of the nose, then the lips and lastly the chin on the left knee. The progress from the head to the chin shows that the body is becoming more and more elastic.
7. After taking a few deep breaths in this pose, breath in and raise the trunk to pose 4. (Step 4.) Take two breaths.
8. Breath in, lift the left palm from the floor and come to position 3 (Step 6)
9. Let go of the left foot from the grip of the right hand and return to Tadasana. (Step 1)
1O. Repeat on the other side, keeping the right leg on the floor, bending the left leg, placing the left foot on the right thigh, gripping the left toe with the left hand from back, bending forward and placing the right palm on the floor. (Step 8)
11. If you cannot grip the toe with the hand from behind, place both the palms on the floor and follow the above these steps->. (step 9 and 10)
Stiffness of the knees is cured by Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana 9. Daily Practice of Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana 9helps the abdominal organs are contracted, digestive powers increase and the peristaltic activity helps to eliminate toxin creating waste matter. This posture helps one to move the shoulders further back. This broads the chest and helps in breathing freely and deeply.