Urdhva Mukha svanasana is a SANSKRIT word that means Urdhva means ''Upward'', Mukha means ''Face'', Savana means ''Dog'' and Asana means ''Pose''. This is also called ''Upward Facing Dog Pose'' in English. This pose helps to strengthen the hands, wrists, and spine. This asana also stretches the back and relieves the body of lower back ache. Continued practices of this asana help to reduce depression and fatigue.
Lie down on your belly with your feet hip distance apart and hands put on beside of lower ribs. extend your legs and press down your toenails to activate your quadriceps. Rotate your inner thighs to the ceiling while firming your ankles into your midline. press down with your hands and leg. Breathe in, straighten your hands, and lift your legs. put on your hand on the floor, your leg anchored, and your chest forward and up. Draw your shoulders back side while rooting down with your hands. make sure that the curve is a combination of the curve of your mid and upper back. stay for 5 breaths and relax.
Benefits of Urdhva Mukha svanasana yoga:
There are the most important health benefits of Urdhva Mukha svanasana are,
1. Urdhva Mukha svanasana is one of the best for expanding the chest area and strengthening the lungs system. It makes a better breathing system that eliminates respiratory diseases such as Asthma.
2. This asana stretches from head to toe and improves blood circulation that helps the internal organs to function better. This effect is reduced sciatica and fatigue.
3. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana help to make a strong shoulders. the most of the body weight on the shoulders and it makes stronger shoulder muscles.
4. With the continued exercise of this pose, the thighs, stomach, and hamstring stay hanging in the air. It helps to strengthen and tone muscles.
5. Regular practices of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana eliminate tightening lower back pain or strain in the body.
6. This pose helps to reduce and alleviate sciatica pain.
7. This asana helps to increase and strengthen adductors.
8. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana help to increase Strengthens of the triceps.
Step by step Urdhva Mukha Svanasana yoga:
1. Remain on the floor on the stomach, face directed downside.
2. Keep the feet about one foot apart. The toes should point straight back. Place the palms on the floor by the side of the waist, the fingers pointing to the head.
3. Breath in, raise the head and trunk, stretch the arms completely and push the head and trunk as far back as possible, without resting the knees on the floor.
4. Keep the legs straight and tightened at the knees, but do not rest the knees on the floor. The weight of the body rests on the palms and toes only. (Step 1)
5. The spine, thighs and calves should be fully extended, and the buttocks contracted tight. Push the chest ahead, extend the neck fully and throw the head as far back as possible. Extend also the back portions of the arms.
6. Hold the posture from half a minute to a minute with deep breathing.
7. Curve the elbows, release the extend and loosen up on the floor.